Source: Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures

Fans rejoiced two years ago when Marvel, Disney, and Sony came together to bring Spider-Man home to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Today, a new quote has fans worried that nothing gold can stay, and Spidey will soon web-sling his way out of the MCU just after the fun gets started. That same quote, however, should be taken as a positive sign when factoring in the history of the Marvel/Disney/Sony Spider-pact.

Earlier this morning, Sony Pictures released an interview with Spider-Man: Homecoming producer (and former Sony boss) Amy Pascal from last night’s CinemaCon presentation. While talking about how special the Spider-pact was and still is, Pascal also suggested that the deal may not last forever.

“One of the things that I think is so amazing about this experience is that you don’t have studios deciding to work together to make a film very often. In fact, it may never happen again… after we do the sequel.”

Contrary to some of today’s headlines and articles about that last sentence, there is no cause for alarm. Believe it or not, this is actually confirmation that we are getting more MCU Spider-Man than we were ever promised. Too often, the original terms of the agreement between Marvel, Disney, and Sony are forgotten, so let’s review the following from the original press release.

“Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.”

The original deal was a one-for-one trade that began with Spider-Man (Tom Holland) appearing in Captain America: Civil War last year and ends with Spider-Man: Homecoming in July. There was an eye to the future, but fans were only promised two films featuring Spider-Man in the MCU.

In order for Spidey to find himself involved in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4, a new deal had to be struck. We know that happened since Tom Holland was on set with Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man) and Chris Pratt (Star-Lord) when production started, so a Marvel Studios-produced Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel (due in theaters July 5, 2019) is obviously what Sony is getting out of the extension of the original deal.

Source: Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures

Essentially, fans are in the same position that they were two years ago. Spider-Man is going to be in another upcoming Disney-distributed Marvel film (or probably two) before getting another Sony-distributed solo film set in the MCU. No one is any worse off as a result of this. In fact, everyone is better off for getting more MCU Spidey than we were initially guaranteed.

What Pascal said is accurate. As of right now, there are no promises that the deal will be extended again after the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel. That hardly means, however, that an extension is impossible or even unlikely. Consider what Pascal said immediately following her comment about what may never happen again.

“Because Sony and Disney and Marvel all decided that the right thing to do was to allow Peter Parker and Spider-Man to be in the MCU, and to work with the Marvel guys and have them produce this film, and I think that was a very rare thing for three companies to do, and a very brilliant thing for them to decide to do because there are only so many stories that you know you can tell again and again and again about Spidey, and this is something that we would never been able to do in any other way. So, it was a very selfless thing that was very smart on the part of all the companies.”

What really matters here is that last bit about the Spider-pact being “very smart on the part of all the companies.” If Spider-Man: Homecoming is wildly successful and Marvel Studios’ team-up films continue to benefit from Spidey’s appearances in them, then it will still be very smart on the part of all three companies to continue the deal and complete another extension, and then another one after that.

There are leadership changes coming for Sony Pictures. Michael Lynton, who was the Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures when the original deal was made, is out and there will soon be a new top boss at the studio. Even so, it would be unwise for any new chief executive to break a deal that is a proven moneymaker for a studio that has not performed nearly as well as most of its competitors in recent years. There are plenty of other properties within Sony Pictures that will be tinkered with before Spider-Man, so long as everyone continues to make big money from the deal.

There is no more cause for alarm about the Spider-pact than there is for all those impending Avengers contract expirations. We don’t have very many promises beyond 2019, but that’s because the time has not come to address all of those deals just yet. Like with most business relationships, the Marvel/Disney/Sony Spider-pact is likely to live on, so long as it remains beneficial for all parties involved.

Fans will have their chance to supply that mutual benefit when Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theaters July 7.

For Amy Pascal’s full CinemaCon interview, see the video below.